The Red Room

The Red Room
Indie Writer's rejoice!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

REAL by Katy Evans -- "Real" great read!



REAL BY KATY EVANS

THIS WAS A REALLY GREAT BOOK.  IT WAS AS THE TITLE SAYS "REAL"

Check out my review on GoodReads or Amazon if you want it here, here it is:

This book is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I've only said this about a fairly new author once before. 

This isn't the type of book I usually read. It started out about a boxer, a fighter. I'm not usually into that. But it ended up almost being a metaphore--fighting. Because Remington "Riptide" Tate is in a real fight, the fight of his life. This is about fighting for acceptance and love even against your own nature.

I don't want to spoil the story as to why Remy feels unloved and unable to be loved--suffice it to say that it's a big deal and Ms. Evans has dealt with a huge social and pyscilogical issue in "Real" beautifull. And I should know!

I can so relate to Remy. This is something I've had to deal with all my life, the pain, the memory loss, the things I can't change and that aren't my fault and yet I've been made to believe they are and that I'm a bad person, a flighty person, an angry person. None is true and yet all of it is. It's a hard thing Remy is dealing with and Brooke through him. 

Ms. Evans wrote Remy so well that I cried for him, as Brooke did, I cheered for him, and I hurt for him. I had a suspicion he was like me when he went--what his friends called--speedy, his eyes going black, and then when he crashed. I sobbed when he fearfully told Brooke what was wrong with him terrifiedd he would lose her when she knew. 

Brooke too is a fighter going through a horrible loss herself when she is hurt and can't compete in her dream of running in the Olympics. She can relate to Remy on a deep gut-wrenching level. Brooke is strong emotionally she can handle Remy like no one else can and there is a difference between her and other people--she loves Remy. She falls in love with who he is, even when he's speedy or down. 

These character became so a'reala' for me that I didn't come out of my room to eat. I read late into the night and only went to sleep because my eyes shut and refused to stay open any longer. I was up early to finish the wonderful 'real' story and journey of Brooke and Remington.

I understand there is a sequel this year about Remington 'Riptide' Tate and Brooke Dumas. I hope so because I think I might die if there isn't. Ms. Evans get that book out here front and center. I need me some RIIIIIPPPPTIDE!!! Remy! Remy! Remy!

No comments:

Post a Comment